Created by Lawrence Academy Students

Where in the World are the Winterim Groups?

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dangerous On-Campus Winterims (Volume 2): Artists Encounter Scary Shards in Stained Glass

On my way back from quilting, I decided to step into the stained glass winterim to try to continue our running string of articles about the possible injuries at on campus winterims. The stained glass artists are pretty far along with their projects, so the pieces of glass are looking quite beautiful and harmlessly arranged nicely in their designated patterns [see below].However, from speaking with group members, I quickly learned not to let the graceful product of stained glass fool me- the art of stained glass can give quilting a run for its money as the most dangerous on campus winterim! When I spoke with the artists themselves, I felt my pulse begin to race and my eyes begin to search for safety glasses, a bullet proof vest, and thick gloves that would cover from my hands to my elbows.



Chase told me the injuries range from cuts to burns, and they could occur no matter how carefully you cut the glass. Jackie and Vail went further into detail and even described several incidents that had occurred during during the first week. Jackie was the victim of a burn to her stomach [see picture below] and Vail's fingers were littered with burns and cuts [see picture below].







Although many injuries are possible in stained glass, Mrs. B (the stained glass leader) informed me that injuries can be avoided by correct protection and attention. The artists' descriptions of their accidents made the quilting winterim across the hall look like a walk in the park (and we're not talking Central Park here folks), but the final products are definitely worth the pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment